/* ------------------------------------------------ CSS Style borrowed from Minima by Douglas Bowman ------------------------------------------------ */

Google

Monday, May 22, 2006

Everything I Touch Gets Destroyed

I'm not good at taking risks. 90% of all the games I tried to install were all lemons. I'm not too crazy about the lucky 10% either. The role playing games that I really like were Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale II, and both came out with messages saying "Error: Cyclic redundancy check." After experiencing this for the 10th time, I decided to look it up.

http://www.frgdr.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/cannot_copy_data_error_cyclic_redundancy_check.jpg
WTF Windows?? Seriously WTF??

Techies call it CRCs and it has something to do with math. The important thing that I picked up from it though was that it could be caused by either
  1. a loose cable in the CD drive
  2. badly burnt CDs
Looking at how CD pirates are never straight shooters, I'm likely to point fingers at the latter.

The last CD I bought cost me PHP 300 and I'm not letting it off easy. I'm going to storm the store and give them a quick lesson on CRCs.

. . .

I took Ash's LAN wire in the office today like I used to. But this time something went awry. I returned the wire after lunch and as Ash retired to his seat, his PC wouldn't boot. The screen kept prompting, "Error reading disk." "Aw fuck," I thought, "There goes my OJT." I was the "last touch" and I had little going for me.

That's probably the second thing I've destroyed with my "last touch". The other thing being Non's digital camcorder. I'm keeping an eye on the office's photocopier, fax and TV just in case.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home