/* ------------------------------------------------ CSS Style borrowed from Minima by Douglas Bowman ------------------------------------------------ */

Google

Monday, November 20, 2006

Comics Will Save the World

No not really, but taking comics class gives me an ironclad reason to have my parents buy me some graphic novels that are on the reading list. Hey, you can't skimp on education. ^_^

Sir Bagsit (yes, you heard the name right) is going to give us 4 DVDs worth of comics scanned in jpeg format. The good thing about it, he says, was that we could view it on our DVD player. I'll be reading comics on TV in case you're wondering.

In respect to his fellow local artists though, Sir maintains that he will never ever scan local comics. If we wanted them, we'd have to buy them ourselves to support the industry. He said Marvel and DC could afford it so there's less guilt. ^_^

Speaking of such, I just found out last weekend that the magazine stand in Ayala MRT station, right before the escalator leading to Glorietta, sells local graphic novels at a cheaper price. I also found out that I couldn't haggle to save my life. I always took the listed price as something final and non-negotiable. But since I was such a consistent customer, the tindera gave me a discount, probably out of pity seeing that my wallet was so thin. But here I was shelling out 250 for a graphic novel.

I have already read Arnold Arre's "After Eden" and "Mythology Class" and I can say he's not half bad. But this one, "Ang Mundo ni Andong Agimat" raised the bar for local comics. He has already blazed a trail with Mythology Class and became a tad too romantic with After Eden but this I say followed after Myth Class' lore and the pacing and character development was just a level short of the great classics. The best thing about it though was that it gave enough closure for the first story while hinting at the possibility of a sequel. Now this man is bound to go somewhere for sure. ^_^

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

NWN2 FTW!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Maron said...

wala pa kong NWN2, akala ko ba regalo mo yun sakin? gusto ko orig a

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home